Town Councillor Vacancies
The Town Council has two VACANCIES to be filled by co-option.
If you are interested in this rewarding role please write a brief letter to the Town Clerk explaining a bit about yourself and why you would like to be a Councillor.
Potential Town Councillors must meet the following eligibility criteria:
You must be:
- At least 18 years old
- a British Citizen
- Meet at least one of the following four qualifications:
- you are and will continue to be registered as a local government elector for the parish in which you wish to stand
- you have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the parish area during the whole of the last 12 months
- your main or only place of work for the last 12 months has been in the parish
- you have lived in the parish or within 3 miles of it during the whole of the last 12 months
You are disqualified from standing if:
- you have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three months or more (including a suspended sentence) without the option of a fine, during the last five years
- you have been disqualified under the Representation of the People Act 1983 (which covers corrupt or illegal electoral practices and offences relating to donations). The disqualification for an illegal practice begins from the date the person has been reported guilty by an election court or convicted and lasts for three years. The disqualification for a corrupt practice begins from the date a person has been reported guilty by an election court or convicted and lasts for five years.
Closing date: Friday 5 May 2017
Contact: Town Clerk, 5 Burnswark Terrace, Solway Street, Silloth, Cumbria
Tel: 0777 5686857 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org