Representatives from the Town Council and the Solway Coast AONB Discovery Centre are working with a number of other groups on the creation of the Solway Military Trail.
The aim of the Solway Military Trail Project is to promote the rich military heritage of the Solway Coast to local people and visitors. A collaboration of organisations across both sides of the Cumbrian / Dumfries and Galloway border present a great opportunity to link heritage sites, visitor centres and hereto undiscovered military heritage of these regions in a fascinating trail.
The following organisations have committed to working together to promote the Solway Military Trail:-
- Dumfries and Galloway Aviation Museum
- Solway Aviation Museum
- Carlisle’s Museum of Military Life
- The Devil’s Porridge Museum
- Solway Coast AONB Discovery Centre
- Silloth Town Council
- Solway Firth Partnership
- Dumfries and Galloway Council
- Galloway Tanks & Activity Centre
- John Paul Jones Cottage Museum
The key outputs from the project will be:
- A website highlighting the wide range of military heritage around the Solway Coast, from museums and visitor centres to unstaffed points of interest.
- A self-guided leaflet featuring the staffed sites.